Article I: The Team
- There shall exist an organization with the name The Queen’s Mostly Autonomous Sailboat Team, which may be referred to as QMAST or MAST.
Article II: Purpose Statement
- QMAST will conceive of, design, fabricate, test, and compete with autonomous or mostly autonomous sailboats.
- The Team will supplement the education of its members through the development of the following skills: Technical design, Tool use and fabrication methods, Leadership and project management in a multidisciplinary setting, Creative thinking and problem solving
Article III: Conditions of Membership
- Any student registered in any course at Queen’s University may be an ordinary member of QMAST.
- Rights, privileges, and obligations of ordinary members shall be prescribed by by-law.
Article IV: The Executive
- The principal governing body of QMAST shall be the Executive, whose membership and duties shall be prescribed by by-law.
- The Executive shall consist of the Captain or co-Captains (referred to henceforth as Captain), and several Officers.
- If the co-Captains cannot reach an agreement, the QMAST Faculty Supervisor shall have the final authority on all Team decisions.
- Each Officer shall oversee a sub-team related to a specific aspect of the project.
- The Captain shall be chosen by consensus by all Executive members of the previous year
- The Captain shall hire each new Officer with input from the out-going Officer of the same position.
- The Executive shall have the final authority in forming and implementing the Team’s policy.
- The Executive shall report to the member of the Engineering Society “Executive and Director Team” that oversees Society design teams, and to the QMAST Faculty Supervisor.
Article V: Provisions for Impeachment of the Executive
- The impeachment of an Executive member shall be warranted by behaviour inhibiting the Team from meeting the goals described in this Charter
- The process for the impeachment of an Executive member shall be as follows
a) Any member may submit a request for impeachment to the Executive or the Faculty Supervisor
b) The recipient of such a request shall consult the remaining Executive and Faculty Supervisor.
c) The remaining Executive shall meet with the Executive member in question and the Faculty Supervisor.
d) A majority vote of the remaining Executive shall be required for the impeachment.
- The QMAST Faculty Supervisor and the Executive shall maintain the anonymity of members requesting the impeachment of an Executive member.
Article VI: Finances
- QMAST shall hold a bank account with the Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at Queen’s University.
- QMAST members shall cover all Team expenses until reimbursed by the Team.
- QMAST membership is unpaid.
- The Captain may use the QMAST budget to hire students through the Queen’s University Student Work Experience Program (SWEP).
- The Captain may instantiate a QMAST student fee as a Club under the Alma Mater Society of Queen’s University.
Article VII: By-Laws
- The Team may enact such by-laws necessary for its governance, provided they are in agreement with the principles embodied in this Charter.
- Enactments, amendments, and repeals of by-laws shall be proposed to the Faculty Supervisor by the Captain only after majority consent from the Executive.
- Such by-laws may be enacted, amended or repealed only after approval from the Faculty Supervisor.
Article VIII: Promotional Summary
- The following statement shall be used for the promotion of the Team:
“The Queen’s Mostly Autonomous Sailboat Team (QMAST) is a team of students from all disciplines working to design, test and launch a fully autonomous sailboat capable of racing and crossing bodies of water with no human intervention.”
Article VIIII: Amendments to the Charter
- The Charter shall be amended only by the Engineering Society Council, moved by the Captain and seconded by all other Officers.
- The Captain shall consult the Engineering Society Director of Design before moving an amendment to the Charter.